Thursday, January 27, 2011

Maximum Pretty

About 3 years ago when the Maxi-Dress came "into fashion," I spent at least an entire summer hating on them and anyone who wore one. The Maxi-Dresses I witnessed were trashy color-blocked or hawaiian printed tents made out of heavy polyester/jersey fabrics. Not to mention, the Maxi-Dress of 2008 was more of an expression of spoiled white celebrities tromping around the Bahamas and (quite inappropriately) the streets of L.A.  Do we remember this horror?

Well now in 2011, I take back my numerous rants about Maxi-Dresses. Don't get me wrong, I definitely will never support the terrors of 2008, but I have been shown an alternative. The Maxi-Dress has grown out of its junior stages and evolved into the garb of worldly, sophisticated, and free spirited women. Instead of thick jersey, we have lace and silk to grace our spring gait. The new Maxi-Dress can be very simple with basic necklines and a streamlined silhouette to slim the body and to slink with its curves. In addition to this simple style, we have seen a lot of fringe, tiers and lots of fine details on Maxi-Dresses. Ruffled hems, lace necklines, elegant sleeves, and delicate pleats make the Maxi-Dress a playful thing, reminiscent of the girly dress up days. Somehow, all of these additions take away from the bulk of the dress, giving the length of fabric more flow and texture for the eye to enjoy. The trend applies to Maxi-skirts too by the way!! In fact....I might like the skirts even more, they bring a very 70's vibe to the style.

Some of my favorites:
1: Anna Sui (I know, I'm obsessed)
2: Free People (This dress reminds me a lot of an old Chinese gown my grandmother wore when she was a wealthy woman newly immigrated from China. It is good to see more cultural influences and ancient values in modern fashion!)
3: Michael Kors (this is actually made of polyester, guess I'm biting my tongue again!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment